Mary's Musings

After I swore I wouldn't fall prey to yet another time sinking distraction... Here I am. Blogging! And I thought EBAY was bad!

Friday, July 14, 2006

House cleaners....

Man decided that due to my excessive work schedule, we needed to hire a maid. Reason being, with me traveling so much, he's had to pitch in and help. When I was home more and doing ALL of the cleaning, laundry, errand running and what not-there was no discussion about hired help. The minute he finds himself cleaning a toilet, we're hiring a maid....

So....

Most women would probably be screaming and jumping around with glee. However, yours truly wasn't all that thrilled with the idea. I like to clean my own house, so it's done the way I want it. So, I've been putting him off, hem-hawing, and generally ignoring his continued comments about getting someone to come in and clean. I have to admit, I've let things slide lately, but in the last two months, I've been to Europe more than I have the grocery store if that puts things into perspective. I mean, we're not living in filth, but the little dust bunnies will be mating by the end of the week if I don't get on the stick.

While I was gone this week, Man had a major altercation with my vacuum cleaner. Apparently, he got tangled up in one of the attachments while on the staircase, it clogged, the belt snapped, then somehow it disconnected from the outlet, tripped him-and then it got ugly. In his distress, he threw the thing into a corner of the garage and got two "home visit estimates". One from a large franchise, another from a smaller company.

Man makes lists, gets estimates, gets prices. Both have glossy brochures and all of that. One is going to charge us 204.00 a month to come and clean biweekly, the other said they could do it for 150.00.

The cheaper company does less, but with two adults, I'm thinking we don't need our baseboards cleaned every week, nor do we need our ceiling fan blades scrubbed. And, I can change my own sheets, thank you. Frankly, I think it is absolutely insane to pay this kind of money to a cleaning company, but I didn't have a fight with the vacuum and let it win. So, I decide that I'll give over and give the cheaper company a try. If anything, I can always cancel it if they piss me off. Plus, if they steal anything, ruin/break something-etc...It will be on Man's head. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Sandy J said…

    I want a maid :-(

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Denise McDonald said…

    for $150 a month SJ I'd consider coming over - LOL - and and I have free helpers well maybe not so free but if you suplly the lolli-pops there good to go - hehe

    home Man doens't have to eat it on this one!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Still haven't made the call. :-/ I'm just not that convinced.

    Dennie: Isn't that a ridiculous amount of $$$??? Maybe it's time for a career change.

    Bee-I don't think the vacuum had issues, I think it was the operator. It's always worked just fine for me. I think you also cannot continue vaccuming mounds of black lab hair and not empty the filter upon occasion. A Gay maid?? Could you even imagine the Man's reaction?

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Caroline Clemmons said…

    Mary,

    I used to feel the same way--wanted the house cleaned MY way. Didn't want others knowing MY business, touching MY stuff. Dear, get over it!!! Now, I've a lovely lady who cleans half days on alternate Tuesdays. You can't imagine how nice it is to have the entire house clean at once. I always got sidetracked before I did the entire house, so the whole place was only clean if we were having guests or a party. Because she comes regularly, she has some system (unknown to me) where she cleans the ceiling fan blades a certain time, oils the paneling and cabinets another time, etc. I don't know her schedule, but it's great to have a clean house while I sit in my office and write. Don't fight progress! Of course, being further south, we only pay $65 each time, so about $130 a month. Worth every penny to me!

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Denise McDonald said…

    you're as bad as Sandy updating your blog--no wait this is over a YEAR old--girl what have you been up to?!?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home